Embankment Road, St Helens, Isle of Wight, PO33 1XQ Tel: 01983 872289 Office
Brading Haven Yacht Club's aim is to encourage safe and enjoyable sailing for all members. The BHYC Operations Manual for Waterborne Activities defines the Club's policy and operating methods for racing, training and all other waterborne activities organised by the Club. A copy of this document can be read or printed by clicking here, and all members are advised to familiarise themselves with it. The provisions of this document do not apply to members who take to the water outside of Club organised activities.
The main provisions of this document which apply to all members taking part in Club waterborne activities are as follows:
- All participants sign in before going afloat.
- The decision to take part in all activities except training is the responsibility of the participant, taking into account the class and condition of his/her vessel, the experience and fitness of the crew, and the current and expected weather and sea conditions.
- Personal buoyancy is to be worn by all participants, on pontoons and slipways and when afloat.
- Pre-cadets are to be accompanied by a responsible adult at all times, except during training activities organised for their benefit.
- Club boats may be borrowed by suitably qualified members only when a Club-organised activity is in progress. Click here to see terms and conditions.
- If an accident resulting in harm to a person occurs, or Club or third party property is damaged, the person in charge of the activity is to be informed and will decide what action will be taken. The person in charge should also be advised of 'near misses' which could have resulted in an accident or damage to property, so that the Club can learn from the experience and take precautions in future.
- Club members who sail their dinghies during race meetings and wish to take advantage of patrol boat cover are required to sign on at the race box as non-racing participants, keep to the general racing area without hindering racers, return to the Club with the racing fleet, and sign off when ashore.
- No smoking is permitted on pontoons and slipways and in Club boats.
It is the policy of BHYC to take all reasonable steps to ensure that, through appropriate procedures and training, children and vulnerable adults participating in waterborne activities do so in a safe environment free from physical, sexual or emotional harm. Members are advised to read the guidelines in Annex 4 of the BHYC Operations Manual. Any concerns should be expressed to the Club Welfare Officer, who may be contacted by email.
This page last updated February 22nd 2014